1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Vaping Forums
    First Time Here?
    Welcome to TheVapingForums.com a friendly vaping forum that provides a place for new and veterans vapers. We offer discussions on eJuice, box mods, starter kits and vaping reviews, We also hold contest to win and post cheap deals.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill S6939-2013 - Ban ejuice in New York state

Discussion in 'Vaping Advocacy' started by cerebral79, Apr 13, 2014.

1. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

Bill S6939-2013 is passed prohibits the sale or provision of any quantity of electronic liquid.

This is insane and I truly hope that the big names in the US vaping industry come out in force to stop this.

Here is the link directly to the section of the video where Grimm discusses the proposed legislation.

The whole video has a lot of info but the link above is primarily related to the proposed bill.

Here is a petition you can sign to show support for stopping this insane legislation.
    New York State Senate: Stop New York State Ban on E-Liquid

and here is the bill status page
    NY State Senate Bill S6939

2. Erikkoii

Erikkoii Member

I've never truly understood why people want to ban the most efficent way of stopping smoking. But I'm guessing that big tobacco had something to do with this, as usual... :|

3. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

Not to mention big pharma who stands to lose a ton of revenue from all the gum/patch/inhaler sales.

4. ChrisA

ChrisA Member

That`s just insane. They are starting these things already? This is what I`m most afraid of to be implemented world-wide. But I don`t really care, as I`ll surely buy from the black market or make my own e-juice. Vaping is one thing big corporations and governments can`t take away from me.

5. Greaser

Greaser New Member

Good grief. Seriously, New York? How about let adults be, well, adults. I hope these kinds of initiatives don't spread to other states.

6. KittyReeves

KittyReeves New Member

Oh my God, seriously? People are already trying to ban vaping? Ugh, come on already New York. :roll:

7. derailed

derailed Member

Huh? Why would they ban it? Alcohol is more dangerous and it's still legal. Vaping isn't nocive at all, it's just a great opportunity for addicted smokers to quit, or just to slow down a bit with their addiction.

Vaping companies and people who use vapers will do something about this. I guarantee it.

8. SmrtGuy

SmrtGuy New Member

So the bill contends that e-juice is more harmful than cigarettes or tobacco because e-juice can be absorbed more quickly through the skin or ingested by children or animals. They bill references an article by the NYtimes that claims 1 death by an individual who injected the juice and another hospitalization from someone who had cardiac issues following absorption through their skin after an e-smoke broke.

Although this bill claims that there are scientific studies proving the harmful nature of the ejuice it provides no actual evidence. It asserts anecdotal rises in poison control calls related to ejuice while making no comparison to legal narcotics or ante-freeze for that matter. This is an obvious attempt by someone with money who's business is being threatened by vapes. I guess it could also be a misinformed health official trying to find something other than soda to ban.

9. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

.. What?

Look, I'm sorry, but there's a reason why we have warnings on everything. I hate that when one idiot does something, it ruins it for everyone else. If you're not using it for it's intended use and you get hurt, that's on you, not the vaping community or producers of eliquids. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea for me to inject bleach or wasp killer into my body, but I'm sure someone has (or will) try it, and they're not going to pull it off the shelves.

The only reason this is such a problem is because it's taking money away from tobacco. It's taking money away from something that kills tons of people a year, and of course they can't have that.

It amazes me that something like Chantix (which is supposed to help you stop smoking) has made people kill themselves, but that's perfectly okay.

10. tmbits

tmbits New Member

Its so incredibly frustrating dealing with peoples (justifiable) hate for smoking when your a vaper!

A long time ago I had an order seized at customs and a very threatening letter sent to me. I completely ignored it and just sucked up the loss. However, I did fire off an email to Health Canada asking them why e-cigarettes were "illegal" (which they are NOT). They sent me back a very long letter explaining that it was do to the fact that not enough research has been done to satisfy government safety guidelines. That the "delivery system was as of yet undetermined and therefore deemed unsafe. Nicotine is a scheduled drug"

So in short, the science is in and its perfectly ok to smoke cigarettes, chew nicotine gum, slap on a few useless patches. Better yet? Take a drug that has stunningly shocking side effects...but do NOT use E-cigs!! Well...at least until we have found a way to tax it like tobacco. Maybe fund a few thousand Pharma researches.

We must continue to fight the ignorance!

11. Grimpus

Grimpus New Member

Yeah, its pretty stupid to make it illegal considering its personal choice whether someone uses an E-cig or not! Any instance where law is used to restrict peoples freedoms and choices that don't effect anyone else is tyranny!

12. derailed

derailed Member

I agree with you. It's more like the Medieval ages, heh. Anyways, people should be free to do what they want as long as it won't disturb others. It's their own life / health after all.

13. ally79

ally79 New Member

What is wrong with the people, and particularly the legislature of New York? Their solution seems to be to "ban " everything from soda's to guns and cigarettes. What's next? Sugar? Pasta? Dogs?

14. Aprax

Aprax New Member

This is pretty sad. The numerous health benefits of vaping are clear and there are millions of people joining the vaping culture. This is just another attempt to defend the multibillion dollar tobacco industry.

15. amyyoh

amyyoh New Member

Why would they ban ejuice and not cigarettes? Studies have been done and it is commonly known that cigarettes are harmful, so to ban ejuice because 'not enough information is known about its health effects' is so silly. It's a better alternative to smoking. Is it not as vital to the economy as cigs so it can be banned?

16. amyyoh

amyyoh New Member

Are cigarettes not banned because they are too vital to the economy? Cigs are way worse for a person than vapes, so how could the contradiction possibly be explained? Vapes also sometimes help people quit smoking.

17. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 New Member

Well they want to stop it because huge cigarette companies are complete douches. All they care about is the money, they could careless about trying to help people quit. This bill won't pass though, do to the fact that there is no positive evidence supporting their cause.

18. askanison

askanison New Member

Exactly, Big Tobacco isn't getting their cut and people are starting to drop their product. It's sad that something healthier for you is being attacked.