1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Vaping Forums
    First Time Here?
    Welcome to TheVapingForums.com a friendly vaping forum that provides a place for new and veterans vapers. We offer discussions on eJuice, box mods, starter kits and vaping reviews, We also hold contest to win and post cheap deals.
    Dismiss Notice

Do people still see it as something new?

Discussion in 'New To Vaping' started by Peninha, May 31, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Member

Even though e-cigarettes have been around for over 10 years, I am under the impression that most people still sees them as something new. Does this happen because people prefer other methods to try to quit or what might be the reason for this?

2. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

I think that it's possibly due to the recent huge rise in visibility of them along with the influx of new and awesome devices and parts being created that have turned it into a hobby for more and more people.

3. Peninha

Peninha Member

That might be true, I didn't even know that all those devices and flavors existed, so I am learning a lot here. As more products related to vaping keep appearing I also expect that the distribution increases and therefore more and more people know about them.

4. Aprax

Aprax New Member

They are definitely not new, but they've been surging in popularity recently. It may be a new concept for a lot of people, and thus they may also think that e-vapes are a new product. They've been around but haven't been accepted as easily till now.

5. alexishbob2

alexishbob2 New Member

I actually wasn't aware until very recently that they were quite so old. I think they've come into public view a lot more recently, as people have said, with a huge surge in the range of devices and flavours, as well as a huge push in advertising. I do know a lot of people who wouldn't smoke, but would use e-cigs. It's a lot easier to get into these days.

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

I think that the fact that they are not mainstream makes that most people are not familiar with them, even though they have been around for a while. I think the tendency is that more and more people vape, so less and less people will consider vaping something "new", it's just a matter of time.

7. derailed

derailed Member

In my area these are pretty new and odd. The first vaping store has opened like two years ago, but I see more and more people switching to vaping now which is nice.

8. MercyL

MercyL New Member

A few people may be familiar with ecigs, but governments are betting on most people not being familiar with them. That is why we're seeing efforts to make ecigs as evil as regular cigarettes.

Governments are in a big hurry to make ecigs undesirable, before most people are exposed to them.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

I don't know why governments do that, is it the tobacco lobby working at it's best? I would expect that taxing on e-cigs would make them equally desirable for governments.

10. Peninha

Peninha Member

I think that slowly and gradually vaping is becoming more known and when the distribution starts to be made to general stores more and more people will understand what vaping is.

11. dymon26

dymon26 New Member

The reason why electronic cigarettes seem like a new invention, is because of all the brands, flavors and, designs. Many years ago long before I was born, cigarette companies created ads that stated how cool smoking cigarettes was. That age old concept has never change. The principal of business is to create something people want to buy. When the law was passed that people cannot smoke in public areas, smokers were very upset. So companies took an old idea and just dressed it up to look like the new best thing.

12. soulite

soulite New Member

Yes, people still see e-cigs as something new, because e-cigs are just arriving in some areas. Also a lot of people don't care to listen about what they because they hear "electronic cigarette" when really e-cigs (besides in the occasional shape/color) are in no way like cigarettes.

13. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Yeah, I was just creating a thread on this topic, where a company announces it like a "new way of smoking", so it's still very new and it's still beginning in some countries, but I think it will be a big success.

14. Spowys

Spowys New Member

This has been touched on a bit, but I think people do still consider them new because they've gone through many different stages. First off, they all look so different that it's hard to point at a single object and say, "that's what electronic cigarettes are". They just have so many shapes and sizes and types that it's complicated.

Also, their purpose is shifting radically. They started as a means to quit smoking traditional cigarettes (which they still are), but I find to a much larger extent now they're now becoming a thing for hobbyists in the same way that pipe smoking has been considered in the past. Only now modders can create new devices and their own e-juice flavors leading to more room for variety and innovation.

15. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

In my country we don't see many vapers, so people still strange when they see someone "smoking" in a closed place, like a restaurant or a university, so yeah, it's new in that way.

16. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

Maybe it's just your impression because I think that people are fond of e-cigs by now and don't really consider them as something new.

17. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Possibly it depends on the area or even on the country. In big cities most likely there is more vaping because it's where technology gets first, while in rural areas it's not so common.

18. Spowys

Spowys New Member

Well of course any technology is going to be less familiar to those in rural areas. In general though I think people are beginning to understand what E-cigs are regardless of whether or not they've ever seen one in person. They're all over television now too.