1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Vaping Forums
    First Time Here?
    Welcome to TheVapingForums.com a friendly vaping forum that provides a place for new and veterans vapers. We offer discussions on eJuice, box mods, starter kits and vaping reviews, We also hold contest to win and post cheap deals.
    Dismiss Notice

FDA Says E-Cigs Attract Kids?!

Discussion in 'News' started by KittyReeves, Apr 25, 2014.

1. KittyReeves

KittyReeves New Member

...Um, what? On what planet would kids be attracted to vaping? I doubt kids would even know what vaping is? :shock:

Also, why is the FDA now being all anti-vaping? What spurred this on? And who are these "public health advocates"?

Here's the original article

2. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

I actually was shocked to learn that a lot of kids that my 17 year old goes to school with are attracted to them because of all the various cool looking devices you can buy. They also are into the vapor tricks, i think at the moment the huge boost in popularity of these devices is making vaping so visible that teens are just gravitating to it.

I read somewhere that the FDA was tasked with coming up with proposed regulation a few years ago but it's just now happening because of all the pressure from companies and organizations that stand to be negatively affected by a reduction in the number of people purchasing tobacco products.

And I like to think that whenever I see "public health advocates" they are just referring to ANTS (Anti Nicotine & Tobacco Zealots) lol

3. vapeape

vapeape New Member

The is a lot of money to be made with e cigs and vaping I suspect the current regulatory holes are big enough you can drive a full size transport truck through them.

The kids are always who politician and bureaucrats claim to be protecting because no one in their right mind would make an argument that selling smokes to kids is a good move.

4. derailed

derailed Member

Well, for them vaping is just a fad, the newest "trend". It looks bad-ass, and it's also a new innovation, so they believe it's something that would make you look "cool" for using it. They think of it as they think of smartphones and such. It's just totally wrong.

5. ChrisA

ChrisA Member

I have to agree with you. It is probably all about the trend. People start to really get in touch with this new technology, and so are the youngsters. This may be a cause for concern, because, even though vaping is not necessarily about nicotine, kids could very well pick up a bottle of high nicotine concentration and vape that instead of 0 mg liquid.

6. Jessi

Jessi New Member

It also depends on what you are calling "kids."

For the older ones who will actually be using them such as 17 year olds, then sure, it might be about the trendiness.

But for the younger ones who are actually "kids," I've read that it's about the flavors. They see and smell the fruity or sweet smells and they want it. It's like candy to their minds and so they end up ingesting it if the bottles aren't kept up or don't have safety caps on them.

7. derailed

derailed Member

Yeah, and it's sad that most of them would eventually start smoking because of this new trend.

8. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

This is the same thing people said about cigarettes. And for the same reason, too. Kids think it's cool, they think cigarettes make them look badass, and that they're getting away with something illegal. So of course when vaping becomes popular, kids will get all over that thinking since it's some new "trend" that they're going to be super cool for doing it and introducing it to other kids.

Just how these things are :(

9. Takedon

Takedon Member

I agree. A lot of children are using them just because they look 'cool'.

10. derailed

derailed Member

Yeah, but I remember when I started smoking, for the same reason, because it was the newest "trend" back then.

11. tmbits

tmbits New Member

To be honest I'm not at all surprised that it does attract kids, Thats one area that i AGREE it should be monitored. The place I buy my juices from and batteries cards people.

12. derailed

derailed Member

Yeah, it's a shame that they sell vapers / juices to kids. It's mostly their fault, not the children's.

13. MercyL

MercyL New Member

I remember my fellow high schoolers smoking. Their parents provided cigarette money -- or they earned their own, the school had a smoking area, and packs were all of 35 cents a piece.

Things are a lot different now. No more smoking at school or in restaurants and parents would be charged with child abuse for buying or providing cigarettes to their offspring. With all of the scrutiny surrounding both traditional cigarettes and e-cigs, I don't see teens having the same opportunities for developing the sorts of inhalant habits developed by their predecessors.

Using "kids"/"children" to scare folk away from a healthier alternative to traditional cigarettes is obvious manipulation and terribly short sighted -- almost another "Reefer Madness" in the making.

14. derailed

derailed Member

In my area, more and more kids start smoking. And just because it's prohibited it doesn't mean it could stop them. Smokers will always find a way, and I think everyone agrees with me. They already see themselves as adults, and that's not okay. But it's their health anyways, and they do what they want after all.

15. 2times

2times New Member

I can see where they are coming from with the flavors attracting children, or.. maybe we should use the term teens. Because I'm sure young children would not be using a vape. But I do think this is ridiculous that everyone is making the vaporizers pick up a bad image. These vapes are to STOP people from smoking, not get children hooked on the idea of smoking.

16. Peninha

Peninha Member

I agree with what you say 2times, but at the same time how will sellers control if the person that is trying to buy is a smoker or not? You can't right, so banning the sale to people under 18 is not a bad idea, if a kid is a smoker and wants to quit he can always ask the parents to buy it for him.

17. LittleMissMia

LittleMissMia Member

Kids now-a-days just aren't kids. They want to do everything grown ups are doing because it's "cool". Well duh it's cool :cool: All jokes aside I think they are attracted because they are colorful and they think that they are a harmless substitute to smoking a cigarette. :geek:

18. RedCinn

RedCinn New Member

I'm going to reiterate what cerebral79 said. The FDA is being squeezed by companies who make their profits based on the sale of tobacco products. I'm sure they're being squeezed even harder by big tobacco itself.

Profit over health, that's the way it goes. :thumbs down:

19. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

I agree, it's pretty much politics and behind those politics are mainly financial questions when in fact there should be health reasons. I am not saying vaping is not attractive to kids, but at the same time there are things way more unhealthy that the FDA doesn't care about.

20. Strykstar

Strykstar New Member

Funny how the FDA is so against E-Cigs and yet cigarettes have always been allowed and they never mention it.
    This is no more than tobacco lobbies putting pressure on an industry that seriously threatens them.