1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Vaping Forums
    First Time Here?
    Welcome to TheVapingForums.com a friendly vaping forum that provides a place for new and veterans vapers. We offer discussions on eJuice, box mods, starter kits and vaping reviews, We also hold contest to win and post cheap deals.
    Dismiss Notice

How addictive are E-cigs

Discussion in 'New To Vaping' started by pokerbanter, Jun 3, 2014.

1. pokerbanter

pokerbanter New Member

I haven't yet decided whether or not to switch from inhalators to E-Cigs mainly because I am unsure of how addictive they are.

Are they more/less/same addiction as regular cigarettes ?

I am a bit worried that I am switching one addictive drug for something similar. I quit smoking mainly for financial reasons and although E-Cigs are much cheaper, I don't want to rely on them for the rest of my life.

2. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

Hi there Pokerbanter,

These inahalers you mention, are they something like the one found here Prescription NICOTROL® Inhaler (nicotine inhalation system) | Safety Info ?

If so, the website mentions that you may actually become dependent on this device just like with traditional cigs due to the nicotine in the solution it contains.

I would think that yes you could become just as dependent on ecigs provided they contain nicotine. But, a couple reasons that I prefer ecigs (vaporizers) over prescription inhalers is that you have so much more control over how your vape/smoking experience is.

By this I mean, you can find that perfect juice flavor/nicotine sctrength/throat hit/vapor production to ease the fack that you are not smoking real cigs. This way all you have to focus on is slowly cutting back on the nicotine strength until you are at zero nic.

I'm not sure how "satisfying" your inhaler is compared to a real cig but I know for example, the "cig-alikes' like Blu ecigs were too weak for me so I had to move into advanced devices where I could add my own juice that was stronger ans tasted better.

Once I did this, it was only a matter of time before I was forgetting to light up a real cig and then I just stopped completely because they tasted so bad compared to my vape lol.

But ultimately, I would think that if you compare your inhaler with a vaporizer/ecig with the same nicotine content they would both be equally addictive. You just have to decide, is your inhaler satisfying enough and/or is it becoming a financial burden that would warrant switching to ecigs.

3. pokerbanter

pokerbanter New Member

Hi cerebral,

Yes the inhalers are exactly what you posted. They are free for me as I get them from our NHS here in Scotland.

They have nicotine of course and the idea is too get lower and lower. By reading around I see that is also the same with vaporiser so I have swung in favour of vaporisers.

The inhalators taste bad. Thats a definite. I've had a few puffs on my wifes vaporiser & it actually is a pleasant experience. She has some juice which tastes like a raspberry slushie.

4. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

Ah ok so it sounds like the big difference may just come down to price and the overall vaping experience when deciding between the two. I do have to say that the wide variety of flavors and blends in e-liquids is definitely nice :)

5. alexishbob2

alexishbob2 New Member

Definitely I think if you are trying to cut back or stop smoking by using e-cigs, your best bet is to go for the ones where you can choose what you put in it with regards to flavour and nicotine level. The way I see it is that if it tastes nice and is a pleasant experience; and satisfies the habit of smoking if not the actually nicotine craving, then you are most of the way there.
    Just my opinion, but I think it is a lot less difficult to slowly taper off while satisfying the habit than it is to reduce using patches or other methods and chewing through a pack of pens per day!

6. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 New Member

They are not really addictive at all as the reason people are addicted to cigarettes is because of the chemicals they put in them. I smoke them from time to time, they are nice to have every once in awhile as they last forever and are not as expensive in the long run as real cigarettes are.

7. potstar

potstar New Member

Ecigs can be very addictive. I mean not to the point where i you'll be very dependent to it but you might want to check the frequency of your puffs. Since eCigs can be used anywhere, well almost since some establishments don't allow it, you'll always have this tendency to just use and use it unconsciously. Up to the point where you puff more eCigs than regular cigarettes.

8. Aprax

Aprax New Member

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer for this question. By vaping you still consume nicotine so there are those chemicals that physically cause addiction, but way less than cigarettes. Whether you stay hooked or not depends on you.

9. pokerbanter

pokerbanter New Member

Thanks for replies guys. I decided to go for a vaporiser and ditch the inhalators. It truly has been the best decision I have made in my near 25 year quest to give up smoking.

I am now 14 days cigarette free and although I am still getting nicotine via the vaporiser I am feeling the benefits of stopping smoking. the financial benefits are already visible and for once I actually feel like I can say I AM A NON SMOKER !!!

I am on 12mg liquid using a fruity berry liquid and it is very pleasant. I am so happy it's CRAZY !!!

10. LittleMissMia

LittleMissMia Member

Good for you! I am happy for you that you've found a way to successfully stop smoking cigarettes and are now enjoying the many benefits of vaping. That's great :)

11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Congratulations pokerbanter, it's great that you are feeling better and in my opinion it's impossible to compare the inhaler and the e-cig, that inhaler looks like pretty much a medicine while the e-cig or vaping is more like a lifestyle and you get to choose what you vape.

12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster New Member

That depends on the strength you get in terms of nicotine. But generally nicotine is addictive no matter how you take it.

13. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

I agree, it depends on what it's put inside, but I think it can't be compared to a cigarette, it's far less addicting. The fact that it makes us save a lot of money can eventually make us use it more, but it's not a physical addiction like we have with regular tobacco.

14. soulite

soulite New Member

E-cigs are not addictive at all. Nicotine would be the only addictive substance involved with e-cigs and you can buy e-liquid that has no nicotine in it. I've been vaping off and on, during the off seasons I don't even think about unless I see my e-cig sitting somewhere.

15. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Yep, they are not addictive from a nicotine perspective, but you can enjoy the habit so much that you can't be a long time without doing it, but this would be more a psychological addiction rather than a physical one.

16. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

I think that they are really addictive. When I used to smoke electronic cigarettes I have done it really often.

17. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

That's the goal right? One, if we are smoking them to quit regular cigarettes we will do it s often as we used to smoke, but if we do it just because we enjoy it only we can take another pace and vape not so often.

18. sissy0903

sissy0903 New Member

For me I am just as addicted to my electronic cigarette as I was to cigarettes. I get antsy and irritable if it gets lost just like I did with real cigarettes. But you have to realize the e-juice contains Nicotine which is what we all get addicted to. Hopefully being able to lower the nicitine levels slowly will help to ease the transition of stopping the addiction all together at some point. Or atleast that is my own personal goal :D

19. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

At least you are now addicted to something that is not as bad as cigarettes because vaping is healthier. The juices to contain nicotine, but not as much, so maybe you just love it so much that you can't stop? :)

20. Spowys

Spowys New Member

I suppose it depends on what you mean by addictive. Physically I consider them much less addictive than analog cigarettes. I vape almost 100% of the time now, and although I'll feel the urge to take a drag sometimes, it isn't a strong physical craving like with real cigarettes. I don't feel impatient or anxious when I go without either.

But a lot of it for me is just oral fixation too now. I just want to smoke something, I think I could almost go with 0% nicotine e-juice and still get by.