1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Vaping Forums
    First Time Here?
    Welcome to TheVapingForums.com a friendly vaping forum that provides a place for new and veterans vapers. We offer discussions on eJuice, box mods, starter kits and vaping reviews, We also hold contest to win and post cheap deals.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on teenagers / kids using vapers

Discussion in 'Vaping General Chat' started by derailed, Apr 28, 2014.

1. derailed

derailed Member

I personally don't like them at all. I don't think they have serious smoking problems, only do it to look cool. And sometimes their parents encourage them, which is very disappointing and sad. Most of them don't even know what vaping is for.

So, what's your opinion on them?

2. cerebral79

cerebral79 Member

I don't really like the trend that has popped up as far as teens using them to be cool but it's no different than it was almost 20 years ago when I was in high school and smoking was the cool thing to do.

The problem is that the juice they are getting their hands on has nic in them, if it was zero nic I'd say "vape away"

Side note: My 17 year old son had been smoking for almost a year before he slipped up and accidentally admitted it while at my house for a visit. I had a nice long talk with him and in the end ended up giving him one of my spare vaporizers and everything he needed to get started.

He was extremely happy and excited to start using it because he was trying to quit smoking but was having a hard time with it and was looking for something to get him off the real cigs.

I told him the juice I gave him was 12mg nic but it was actually from my personal stash of zero nic juice lol.

He hasn't smoked a cig (that I know of) since and brings it with him every time he comes for the weekend and never tries to sneak out to smoke, thinking I don't notice (been there done that lol)

3. Jessi

Jessi New Member

I disagree with kids being allowed to use them. Even non-nicotine ones, I just don't think it's necessarily appropriate. The same goes for younger teens. For someone who is nearing adulthood, though, or is already 18? I don't really have any issue. I would much rather them using vaporizers than cigarettes.

4. derailed

derailed Member

Heh, nice troll with the 0 nicotine liquid. Maybe he hasn't smoked that much if he couldn't feel the lack of nicotine in it.

And congratulations for being an understanding, caring and good parent. Most parents nowadays would give their children a hard time if they found out they're smoking.

5. Takedon

Takedon Member

I suppose most of the nowadays teenagers do different things just to look cool. But so did we start smoking 10 years ago, so I don't think there is much of a difference.

6. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

I don't have an issue with teenagers using them, so much as I have an issue with shops selling to those teenagers.

If a parent wants to buy one for their teen, that's not my business. I'd rather someone do this than smoke cigarettes and get hooked on a nasty habit for life.

I think if it contains nicotine, it shouldn't be given to anyone under the age of 18, but I smoked when I was 15, so I can't say much. I thought it was a dumb law when I was that age, really.

I think it mostly boils down to the parents, though. Are they okay with their teenager doing it? Especially if they know their child smokes, and want to help them quit, that's fine.

It just really bothers me when shops don't card, or sell to minors and think it isn't a big deal.

7. Takedon

Takedon Member

Well, I don't really mind anybody using them but I still think that it is a very stupid thing to do unless you know you are addicted to smoking.

8. derailed

derailed Member

Yup, you pretty much summed up what I've been thinking of them lately. I like your mentality.

9. Takedon

Takedon Member

People are stupid, what else is there to say? But it is our fault because the younger generation smokes as well.

10. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

"Reports of children consuming poisonous liquid from e-cigarettes rose sharply in Minnesota last year, prompting health officials to warn that the state may be facing a new public health hazard.

Only one child was hospitalized as a result of consuming the nicotine-laced liquid, but the total number of cases — 50 — was a tenfold increase over 2012, the Minnesota Department of Health said Tuesday.

“We really want parents to know that this liquid nicotine can pose a fatal risk and that they should store it out of the reach of children,” said Dr. Ed Ehlinger, state health commissioner.

The increase tracks the growing popularity of e-cigarettes, battery-powered cartridges that heat up flavored liquid and produce an inhaled nicotine vapor. Many e-cigarette users, or “vapers,’’ use them as a lower-nicotine alternative to cigarettes, or as a bridge to quitting cigarettes altogether. One in five smokers had tried e-cigarettes in 2011, twice as many as a year earlier, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

*Startribune

11. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 New Member

I do not agree with this one bit. It should still be controlled by age just like cigarettes. Nicotine is still a very addictive drug that has negative side effects on children of any age. Now some people may not see it this way but, I do and I am sorry if people do not agree.

12. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

Well it's definitely bad. Especially teenagers and kids shouldn't harm their lungs at should a young age.

13. titohunter

titohunter New Member

I imagine it would freak some people out. Me personally, i don't feel its a bad thing. If they're around 16 or so, they could be doing worse. Its a positive thing, at least their not smoking the deadly ones.

14. wvboarder

wvboarder Member

I think my other opinions have been stated but thinking of my godson, if he was in high school I'd be way more likely to be comfortable with him vaping than smoking the real thing. I have hopes that ciggs will be illegal by then.