1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Vaping Forums
    First Time Here?
    Welcome to TheVapingForums.com a friendly vaping forum that provides a place for new and veterans vapers. We offer discussions on eJuice, box mods, starter kits and vaping reviews, We also hold contest to win and post cheap deals.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you think it's inappropriate to use an ecig?

Discussion in 'Vaping General Chat' started by J3NN4, Apr 30, 2014.

1. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

I obviously use mine at home or in my car, but I'm always hesitant about where I use it in public.

One of my friends has pretty bad asthma, so just the smell of the stronger liquids can set him off and have him going for his inhaler. My uncle also has a hard time breathing when he's around strong smells, so I try to avoid it when I'm around him, too.

Compared to cigarettes, they obviously don't put off as much of a smell, but it seems like some people really have no regard for their surroundings when using these.

For example, a guy in one of my classes think it's perfectly okay to whip his ecig out and puff away on it, in the middle of class. It's fine the first few times he does it, but he doesn't seem to realize it does leave a cloud hanging around.

I've also seen people do it in the movie theater, where it's really easy to notice the cloud of vapor just hanging above everyone. The smell isn't that noticeable, but I still don't really care for it.

I try to just ask myself, "Would I smoke a cigarette here?" and if it's obviously a non-smoking area, I don't use it. It's easy enough to take a quick hit off of if I need it, but I don't find that happening too often.

2. Takedon

Takedon Member

I suppose it's not appropiate to smoke at an asthma support meeting.

3. Jessi

Jessi New Member

I think this is the type of person who is simply doing it because he wants to prove that he can. As in, he knows he wouldn't smoke in the same situation, but because it's not illegal to do it inside, he's doing it for the sheer sake of doing it.

My general philosophy on this is "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it." So for me, no, I don't think they should necessarily be used in public close quarters. That being said, I also don't think people should spray perfume while sitting at the dinner table in a restaurant either, but that doesn't mean they won't still sometimes do it anyway.

4. derailed

derailed Member

At a burial or a wedding. Also near someone who has lung problems.

5. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

You hit the nail on the head there. He does it because he can and thinks he can get away with it.

I definitely agree that people shouldn't spray perfume out like that. I actually wish they'd just make it a law that if your perfume smells too strong, you have to go back home. Especially with older ladies... sometimes they just don't notice, but it gives me a really bad headache when it's that overpowering.

6. derailed

derailed Member

Well, this is one good example. But I'm sure no one would do it.

7. Berberita

Berberita New Member

When you're in the hospital or near someone who has breathing problems.

8. Takedon

Takedon Member

Wow, you really need a lot of common sense to smoke next to somebody with lung problems!

9. derailed

derailed Member

Or you just need to be an insensitive and ignorant person.

10. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

I just think the more stupid people who abuse being able to smoke an e-cig where you normally wouldn't smoke a cigarette, is going to end up having more laws placed on them. I don't really understand it, honestly. I can go to Walmart and shop around without needing a cigarette break. I certainly can handle buying groceries without puffing away on my e-cig.

It just takes one person to piss someone off, and then we all get it taken away.

11. derailed

derailed Member

I agree with you. I often see people vaping while on the bus or even in their office. It's kind of abusive. Yes, it is not prohibited, licking a street lamp is also not prohibited, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

12. Andrei

Andrei New Member

In my house! My parents hate smoke, no matter what kind of smoke it is. I cannot judge them, they are a bit afraid of it because of the fire alarms as well. However, it is definitely inappropriate to smoke around them.

13. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

Unless you're right up next to the smoke detector, you're not going to set off any fire alarms. I'm not even sure vapor will do that anyway, but better safe than sorry I guess. It disappears too quickly for it to trip a smoke detector.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that you respect your parents and choose not to do that around them, but it's not smoke, as in it's not going to linger or stain the walls.

14. Andrei

Andrei New Member

I have one of the finest alarms. You see, our house has burned before and this is why we have invested a lot into them. This is why they will not allow any kind of smoke in the house.

15. derailed

derailed Member

Oh, well, does the vapor really turn on the alarm? I've also smoked in interiors with alarms, but nothing happened at all.

16. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

They can, but a dusty environment could set off a smoke detector, as well.

I can't imagine that a smoke alarm is so testy that vapor 20 feet away from it would set it off. It usually dissipates before it travels too far. I can understand his parents not wanting him to do it, but it's not the same thing as smoke. There's a higher chances of one of their cell phone batteries setting the house on fire than there is his e-cig, probably.

17. derailed

derailed Member

Oh, well, I've never really managed to turn on the alarm by vaping, so that's why I was asking. But I guess the more careful you are with this kind of things, the better, as it could get you a "nice" fine for doing it.

18. Grimpus

Grimpus New Member

I never use my E-cig around children as I know how influential nick-nacky things can be on them. When I was a kid I probably would have sneaked a little puff out of it when they werent looking! hahaha

19. derailed

derailed Member

Well, I have to agree that they are influential. But I don't think that the vapor is dangerous for them. At least it doesn't seem so.

20. jjeffers

jjeffers New Member

Please, do not smoke E-Cigs in the meat section in Walmart. It is disgusting!